More Info - FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the + sign to expand

Who are Carers of West Dunbartonshire?

Carers of West Dunbartonshire is an independent, voluntary organisation supporting adult unpaid carers in West Dunbartonshire. We are managed by a Board of Directors, who are carers, former carers, and members of the local community committed to improving and developing quality services for carers. Members of our Board are volunteers and are not paid for their work with Carers of West Dunbartonshire.

Who can get support from Carers of West Dunbartonshire?

We support adult unpaid carers aged 18 and over.

An unpaid carer is someone looking after a family member or friend due to disability, illness, frailty, mental health challenges or addiction. We provide support to carers in a variety of different caring situations.


Who funds Carers of West Dunbartonshire?

We are primarily funded by West Dunbartonshire Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) and West Dunbartonshire Council. We are a third-sector organisation with charitable status, which allows us to apply to grant-making trusts, etc. for additional funding.


Who will support me?

Once registered with us, you will be allocated to one of our Carer Support Workers, who will be your point of contact for advice and support in your caring role. Our team have many years of experience in supporting carers, as well as their own backgrounds, qualifications, and expertise. Visit our Meet the Team page to find out more.


What happens when I register?

You can make a self-referral or someone can refer you on your behalf. We will then contact you and gather key information surrounding you and your caring role, and you will be allocated a Carer Support Worker. Once allocated, your new Carer Support Worker will be in touch to discuss what you think you need and how best we can support you. They will also discuss completing an Adult Carer Assessment and Support Plan (ACASP) with you to ensure all your needs have been identified. The Carer Support Worker will provide you with support for as long as you need it.

PLEASE NOTE: We treat all information provided with confidentiality, and we won’t share information provided without your consent. This is further discussed at the point of registration.


What type of support can I get?

We offer a wide range of services, from emotional support and advice to short breaks and support accessing replacement care and respite. Visit the Services page to find out more. Whether you wish to access one or multiple services – we will be led by you.

Do I need to come to the Carers' Centre?

We understand how demanding caring can be, so we provide a variety of ways to get in touch.

If you’re unable to visit us, you can:

  • Call us on 0141 941 1550
  • Email us at clydebankcc@carerswd.org
  • Write to us: Carers’ Centre, 84 Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 1UG

Individual staff contact details are available on our ‘Meet the Team’ page, and all staff are available via email, call, text, or video call.

Will I be charged for services?

Support from Carers of West Dunbartonshire is free of charge.

You may be asked to pay a small fee should you attend any carer activities; however, we will always try to keep this to a minimum.

When can I get in touch?

Our operating hours are: Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 4:30pm (exc. bank holidays).

We operate on a duty rota system, meaning someone will always be available to help you. Since the Coronavirus outbreak, we have adopted a hybrid way of working, meaning some staff will work from home on certain days. Please refer to the Meet the Team page for individual staff contact details.

Do I need to be receiving Carers' Allowance/Carer Support Payment to access support?

Support from us is provided to all adult unpaid carers, whether you receive Carers’ Allowance/Carer Support Payment or not. There are a number of reasons why you may be ineligible for Carers’ Allowance/Carer Support Payment – this does not mean you are not a carer.

Can the person that I care for get support?

We focus on providing support to you as the carer and therefore, our services are designed for carers. However, the person you care for may benefit from the support you receive from us, e.g. access to other services, increase in welfare benefits, etc.

What happens when I’m no longer caring?

It can be difficult coming to terms with the end of your caring role. We’re here to support you in this transition. We will continue to offer support for up to 10 weeks, and in this time help you to reconnect with the community and access other opportunities, e.g. getting back to work, volunteering, clubs, etc.

Can I make a donation?

Of course!

Thank you for supporting our service. For more information on how to make a donation, please visit the How to Donate page.

Call Us

0141 941 1550

Change Text Size

Text Size:

Select Your Language:

Translate »